While you may have to spend more than a couple of pennies to deck-the- halls in your house or
apartment for the holiday season – you can do it on a small budget and still have that awesome festive
feel (and money left over for gift-giving, of course).
The holidays are a perfect time to create something special for someone you know and to do something
special for someone in your community. And as luck would have it – you can do this and save money on
your holiday décor all in one fell swoop!
When you shop at and donate to your local Goodwill, you find great items and help provide job
placement and training opportunities for people in your community!
I don’t know about you – but I am a sucker for a good bargain. It pains me physically to have to spend
money at a big box retailer when I know I can get the same stuff at Goodwill for a fraction of the price
AND help my community at the same time. Why wouldn’t you try shopping at your local Goodwill first?
Here are my best tips to help you find the best and most unique bargains for your holiday decorating
- Shop the entire store – You will likely find things all over the store, not just a seasonal isle, that
can be used for décor.
- Throw blankets, pillows, table runners, etc… are items that can be used seasonally and year-round.
- Candle holders are a great year-round item that can also be used for different seasons.
- Dishes, serving platters, and cups are usually found within that section, even when they are seasonal, so don’t skip this section!
- Photos and wall décor is usually within it’s own section, but you can find some great seasonal and non-seasonal stuff to decorate your walls.
- Be willing to buy something if you love it, regardless of the season, because you can repurpose
anything you find to fit your needs.
Some items that I have found (and purchased) for holiday decorating that you can be on the lookout
- Serving dishes
- Cups and plates
- Tree ornaments
- Porcelain Santas, Angels and other unique items
- Garland and other misc holiday items
Last year, sales from Goodwill stores funded employment training, job placement services, financial
education, youth mentoring and more to 36 million people in the United States and Canada. So,
spending your hard-earned money at Goodwill is truly something you can feel good about!
When you make the choice to shop at Goodwill, you’re choosing to support valuable employment,
education, and training services in your community to help people find a job and get control of their
finances. The money you spend stays directly in your community and gives people an opportunity to
make a fresh start.
Have you used Goodwill as your go-to store for decorating for any season? If so, share your finds with us
on social media using the hashtag #ShopGoodwill!