So this morning while Emma was getting ready for camp we were watching 19 kids and counting. She loves this show I tell ya. Not that I am a 19 kids having kinda momma but I do admire the fact that you never “see” her yell at the kids and they seem very well-behaved. Anywho, on today’s episode they visited the Biltmore Estates in North Carolina. Being a self-proclaimed research junky I hopped on the Internet to look it up. I was excited when I noticed they have a recipe section on their site. Browsing through the yummy recipes I found this great twist on homemade vanilla ice cream.
The recipient is for Orange Infused Vanilla Ice Cream. As a family of 7 we all have our favorite flavors of ice cream. But one flavor we all like is vanilla. When I saw that this was orange infused instead of oranged flavored I just knew this was a recipe I had to share and make. I plan on making it this weekend, if not sooner. I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
Orange Infused Vanilla Ice Cream
Serves six to eight
- 5 cups Heavy cream
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1 cup Sugar
- 12 Egg yolks
- Orange Zest from 1 orange
- You will need an ice cream maker for this recipe.
- Heat together heavy cream, half and half, vanilla bean and sugar. Bring just to a simmer.
- Temper in the egg yolks by slowly whisking them in a little at a time. Be sure liquid is not too hot, as you will curdle the eggs.
- Cook mixture until it begins to thicken, then whisk in the orange zest until it is smooth.
- Add the mixture to an ice cream maker. Freeze any leftovers in the desired container.