Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means we earn a commission when you purchase through these links.
Making desserts for Halloween doesn’t have to take a long time or be complicated. Take for example these adorably spooky Halloween Oreo cupcakes. They take less than an hour to make and are easy enough you can get your kids to help make them! We’ve used Halloween theme Oreos with their bright orange middles. If you can’t find those, you can add a drop or two of orange food color to your frosting.
First, the cookies are separated, but if you prefer you could use a full-size cookie. Taking them part lets you scrape the filling to set aside for the cupcake frosting recipe.
When dipping your cookies, be aware of the chocolate temperature. We don’t want anyone getting a burn. Keep the heat on just high enough for the chocolate wafers to melt. If you like decorating with dipping chocolate a lot, get a melting pot designed for melting chocolate.
Get the sprinkles on quickly so they can stick well. We used a cute Wilton Halloween Sprinkles Mix to decorate the frosting. Any Halloween sprinkle mix would work you find since there are several to choose from on Amazon.
While those are resting, you can get the cupcake started and in the oven. Using a cake mix makes this step quick and easy. If you use a measuring cup or small scoop you can divide the batter evenly and not get a lot of drips to clean up on the pan edges.
While they bake, get the frosting whipped up. If you want the recipe even faster, grab a ready-made frosting when you get your cake mix.
I know you’ll want to frost these yummy cupcakes as soon as possible, but wait until they cool. Otherwise, the frosting melts and you’ll have a mess to deal with! The frosting needs to stick well so it stays in place when decorating these Halloween Oreo cupcakes with the sprinkle mix.
Before you Get Baking:
While you’re getting your home ready for Halloween, check out our Halloween Porch Decorating Ideas post!
Here's an fast and easy recipe for Halloween cupcakes your family will love. You can even have your kids help create them!
- 2 packages Halloween Oreo cookies
- 8 ounces Ghirardelli milk chocolate melting wafers
- 3 cup Halloween sprinkles, Used 4 3oz. packages of Wilton Halloween Sprinkles Mix
- 1 Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups unsalted sweet cream butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 16 Halloween Oreo cream centers
- 5-7 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Carefully separate the Oreos, use the side that has no Oreo creme.
- Place the chocolate wafers in a heat safe bowl and place the bowl in a pan partially filled with water. Heat the water until it melts the chocolate wafers into a smooth consistency. Do not over heat to prevent burning the chocolate.
- Dip half of cookie into the chocolate.
- Place onto the cookie sheet and sprinkle some Halloween sprinkles.
- Preheat Oven to 350° shiny metal pan or 325° for dark or nonstick pan
- Follow cake mix according the instruction on cake mix box.
- Put the liners in the muffin pan. Set aside.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake according to box guide.
- Let cool before decorating on a cooling rack.
Orange Oreo Frosting Ingredients
- Remove the orange creme from16 Halloween Oreos.
- Using a standing mixer combine the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, Oreo creme and mix on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag and set aside.
- Using the orange frosting, scoop a small amount into the ice cream
- scooper and place onto the top of the cupcake and spread slightly into
- a thick disk.
- Pour the Halloween sprinkles into a deep bowl.
- Dip the top of the cupcake frosting into the sprinkles.
- Using the piping bag, pipe the frosting into the center.
- Carefully place the decorated Oreo onto the side of the frosting.
- Sprinkle some more Halloween sprinkles on top.
To check for doneness insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake,
it should come out clean.