Lasagna Stuffed Meatloaf
Disclosure – This post contains affiliate links and when clicked a small commission may be generated for Making It All Work, at no additional cost to you.
A few months ago while on Facebook there was a recipe which combined 2 of my favorite meals into 1 so I decided to give it a try. It is a lasagna stuffed meatloaf and while it might not sound good, it is to die for if you love lasagna and meatloaf.
The recipe itself was a good one, but being the picky eater I am I adapted it a bit. The original Lasagna Stuffed Meatloaf was found on Twisted.
Lasagna Stuffed Meatloaf Tweaks
Changing out the ground beef to ground chicken and upping the amount from 1 pound to 2 pounds helped this dish feed a few more. Unless you are not a meat lover, I say best to add more.
The next tweaks included the use of Italian Bread Crumbs instead of plain, Using about 1 1/2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning and 2 heaping spoonfuls of minced garlic.
And the last few tweaks involved using Mueller’s no bake lasagna noodles that are pre-cut to a smaller size and are in a blue box. I found that these noodles fit perfectly in the well you create inside the meatloaf.
Changing out the shredded mozzarella for the sliced was my last tweak as that is what I had on hand.
RELATED: NATIONAL PIZZA WEEK
The original recipe says nothing about lining the pan and I learned the hard way. The best way to get it out of the pan is to line the pan straight across the widest sides with aluminum foil and then spray the whole inside the pan with cooking spray.
Cooking time will change a bit if you up the amount of meat like I did, so just keep that in mind when checking to see if its’ done.
TIP: If you have a ice cube tray you can store the unused tomato paste in portion sizes in the freezer to use next time. The same can be done with the spaghetti sauce.
All in all this is a super Easy Lasagna Stuffed Meatloaf recipe that I am sure your family will love!!
Easy Lasagna Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe
Ground Chicken – 2 Pounds
Italian breadcrumbs – 2/3 Cup
2 eggs, whisked
Minced garlic – 2 Tablespoons
Italian seasoning – 1 1/2 tablespoons
Tomato paste – 1 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Pepper – 1 tsp
2 cups ricotta
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 lasagna noodles
3 cups of Mozzarella or about that. One can adjust to their liking of cheese.
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
2 Cups of Shredded Mozzerella
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix together beef, bread crumbs, eggs, Italian Seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic and tomato paste until combined.
3. Line the loaf pan side ways with foil. No need to foil the whole tin. Spray the entire loaf including foil with cooking spray.
4. Press 3/4 of mix into a loaf tin along the bottom and press up the edges keeping a well in the middle.
5. Mix together ricotta with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
6. In the well, layer lasagna followed by ricotta, 1 cup of shredded mozzarella. Do this 4 times with the last layer being lasagna.
6. Cover with remaining meat to seal.
7. Bake for 50 minutes covered with foil. Take out and flip over into a 9 x 13 pan. Top with tomato sauce and as much shredded mozzarella as you like.
8. Broil in the oven until golden brown and bubbly.
If you try this recipe I’d love to hear what you thought of it.