- 1 pound cake
- 2 quarts Strawberries
- 2 pints blueberries
- 2 tubs cool whip
- If you baked your cake from scratch, make sure it’s completely cool.
- Wash and pad dry fruit with a paper towel. Slice the strawberries. Set some aside for the topping and divide the rest into two portions.
- Cut the cake into slices and then in cubes, about 1″ x 1″ cubes.
- In the trifle dish put a layer of pound cake pieces using half of the cake.
- Add a layer of 1/3 of the cool whip topping over the pieces of pound cake.
- Place layer of about half strawberries and blueberries over the whipped topping.
- Repeat the layers.
- Finish with the remaining cool whip and berries on top.
- Chill until you’re ready to serve.
You can make your own pound cake or just buy one from the deli to make it easy. Angel food cake is a delicious option, too.
If you prefer, you could use homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip.
If you’re being careful about calories, use a low-fat whipped cream. You could even switch out the cake for a low-sugar version and replace the whipped cream with yogurt.
Keywords: 4th of July trifle, red white and blue trifle recipe, patriotic trifle dessert